Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Litchi Mission Planning - Wow!

I've been in technology all of my life.  I was an authorized service rep for the Commodore 64 for goodness sakes so I know computers!  (Ok, that's not really impressive but I've worked on control systems for monitoring atomic bomb testing at the Nevada Test Site, I've calibrated Geiger counters for use on nuclear submarines and built lots and lots of applications in PHP, .Net, C++ and C# so I know computers.)  But this is just amazing! Draw a path on a map, add some points of interest and press "Go" and the Phantom 3 Professional flies it... automatically!  It's just amazing!




I flew the Litchi mission planner today for the first time.  Trying to connect first using my Samsung Galaxy Tab S but it wouldn't connect to my tablet so I tried my cell phone, a Galaxy S5, and it hooked right up.  I opened the mission and sent it to my P3P and pressed 'play'.  Amazing!  It just flew the mission perfectly!

This adds a new level of sophistication to my cinematography.  The computer will handle drone velocity, pitch, yaw and camera angle automatically while I am just responsible for keeping the altitude sufficient to not smack into anything while the mission is being executed.    I think I can to that.  But that, as it turns out, is extremely important!

Just to make sure, I flew the mission again a bit later in the day and overlaid the KML file on top of each other in Google Earth.  They were almost identical!  I'm looking over the videos of the two different flights now, but I expect that they are the same.  Simply Amazing!



Update, I've since flown missions using my Galaxy Tab S tablet.  I uninstalled DJI Go and Litchi and reinstalled them both, as well has clearing the defaults on both apps. They appear to coexist just fine on my tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment